The Integral Coach Factory is one of the earliest production units of independent India. It was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru on 2nd October, 1955. Later the Furnishing Division was inaugurated on 2nd October, 1962 and the production of fully furnished coaches steadily increased over the years. Spread over nearly 473 acres, it has about 11,095 workers toiling in harsh conditions to make more than 2,000 coaches every year which includes conventional and self propelled coaches.